In Jesus’ Name
By Al Gordon
Luke 11:5-13 NKJV
- And He said to them, “Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves;
- for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him’;
- and he will answer from within and say, ‘Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you’?
- I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
- “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
- For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
- If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?
- Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
- If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
John 16:16-24 NKJV
- “A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me, because I go to the Father.”
- Then some of His disciples said among themselves, “What is this that He says to us, ‘A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me’; and, ‘because I go to the Father’?”
- They said therefore, “What is this that He says, ‘A little while’? We do not know what He is saying.”
- Now Jesus knew that they desired to ask Him, and He said to them, “Are you inquiring among yourselves about what I said, ‘A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me’?
- Most assuredly, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; and you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy.
- A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.
- Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you.
- And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you.
- Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
One of the biggest problems in prayer, one of the biggest hindrances to prayer is guilt. Whether it’s true guilt, a false guilt or residual guilt, a guilty conscience hinders freedom in prayer.
1 John 3:19-22 NKJV
- And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.
- For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.
- Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God.
- And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.