By Al Gordon
Know that our lives
are in one another’s hands.
(Surely, that has come clear.)
From the poem “Pandemic” by Lynn Ungar
Ezekiel 3:16-21 NKJV
- Now it came to pass at the end of seven days that the word of the Lord came to me, saying,
- “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear a word from My mouth, and give them warning from Me:
- When I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life, that same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand.
- Yet, if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul.
- “Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die; because you did not give him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; but his blood I will require at your hand.
- Nevertheless if you warn the righteous man that the righteous should not sin, and he does not sin, he shall surely live because he took warning; also you will have delivered your soul.”
Psalm 85:13 NKJV
- Righteousness will go before Him, and shall make His footsteps our pathway.
Psalm 23:3 NKJV
- He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
…evangelicalism is Christianity without additions, subtractions, or dilutions — Christianity, that is, in its purest and most authentic form. And to make the point I picture historic Christianity as a broad river whose main stream flows along a central channel while eddies, stagnant pools, backwaters, and expanses of mud abound along its banks.
J. I. Packer